MELVA-S (Measuring the Language and Vocabulary Acquisition in Science of Latinx Students) will develop and test an online formative assessment that measures the depth of word knowledge in science of second- and third-grade Latina/o students. To explain and discuss science phenomena, students need a deep understanding of vocabulary that is not always targeted in textbooks. MELVA-S will provide teachers with a quick measure of students’ understanding of science words in Spanish or in English, so they can adjust their teaching accordingly.
Second- and third-grade Latina/o students. If it is preferable to the school, we can assess all students in a class regardless of ethnicity.
Compensation or Other Benefits
- Free professional development on how to use the results of the measure will be provided.
- All assessment materials used during the study will be provided.
- The results of the study will be shared with the district and schools using deidentified data.
- A small stipend will be provided for teachers who help us organize the data collection.
- Students will be able to respond in Spanish or in English to the prompts.